Families come in all shapes and sizes nowadays. Historically, it was the woman’s job to raise the children while the man was off earning the money needed to provide for the family. No one would argue that the bond between a mother and child is important to raising a well-adjusted child. Single mothers are amazing and some of their accomplishments are nothing short of incredible! However, the bond between a father and child is every bit as important. As society has evolved, fathers are getting more involved in all aspects of child-rearing, not just discipline and providing material things. “Wait til your Father gets home!” is still a popular phrase, no doubt, but studies have shown just how great an impact an involved father can have on the healthy development of a child.
According to the Child and Family Research Partnership of the University of Texas, (https://childandfamilyresearch.utexas.edu/5-things-you-should-know-about-importance-fathers) children who have a father involved in their life while growing up reap the following benefits, just to name a few:
- They are twice as likely to attend college and find a good, stable job after graduating high school. Lessening the likelihood that they will be moving back in with you when they are 30.
- They are 39% more likely to be good students, earning mostly A’s in their classes. This will make getting into college much easier and, bonus, maybe even a scholarship!
- The chance of them repeating a grade is reduced by 45%.
- They will be much better behaved. The chance of them being expelled from school for behavioral issues is reduced by 60%.
- Teen pregnancy risk drops by an astounding 75%!
- There is an 80% reduction in the risk of spending time in jail or prison.
With so many benefits available to your child by including the father who wants to be involved in his child’s life, it is worth whatever steps are necessary to legally identify all involved parties. The first step in this process would be a DNA paternity test. Regardless of the circumstances that led to the miracle of a new life coming into the world, that child deserves every advantage you can give them. Giving the father a chance to be involved in the child’s life would be a great gift to your child.
The process is quick, easy, and painless. A DNA paternity test can remove any lingering doubt from delicate situations. A lot of men would step up and be great dads if they were given the chance. True, some men are glad to walk away and not be burdened. But a lot of men are not told and given a chance to step up. Life is hard enough. Children deserve every benefit we can give them. If you think you may be a dad and want to be involved with the healthy development of your child, protect your rights to do so. Not being married to the child’s mother doesn’t mean you can’t be involved with your child’s life. IPE Screening can help with a DNA paternity test if you live in the Springfield area.